A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to by David Seed
By David Seed
- This Companion conveys the size and diversity of technology fiction.
- Shows how technology fiction has been used as a method of debating cultural issues.
- Essays by way of a world variety of students talk about the contexts, issues and strategies utilized by technological know-how fiction writers.
- Addresses normal subject matters, corresponding to the historical past and origins of the style, its engagement with technology and gender, and nationwide adaptations of technological know-how fiction round the English-speaking world.
- Maps out connections among technological know-how fiction, tv, the cinema, digital truth expertise, and different points of the culture.
- Includes a piece concentrating on significant figures, similar to H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, and Ursula Le Guin.
- Offers shut readings of specific novels, from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein to Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale.
Read or Download A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
The matter of the longer term global is a compelling reassessment of the later writings of the long-lasting African American activist and highbrow W. E. B. Du Bois. As Eric Porter issues out, regardless of the outpouring of scholarship dedicated to Du Bois, the vast variety of writing he produced in the course of the Nineteen Forties and early Nineteen Fifties has now not been completely tested in its historic context, nor has adequate recognition been paid to the theoretical interventions he made in the course of these years.
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2001 within the topic English Language and Literature stories - Literature, grade: 1,5, college of Constance (Literaturwissenschaft), 10 entries within the bibliography, language: English, summary: The dandy has been some of the most interesting and bold phenomena of the nineteenth century.
Dickens is moment simply to Shakespeare within the variety and depth of serious dialogue which his paintings has provoked. His writing is valuable to literature and tradition around the English-speaking global. during this very important new anthology, Steven Connor gathers jointly consultant examples of the diversity of latest serious techniques to Dickens over the past twenty years.
Regardless of their wealthy culture, the Carmina Anacreontea transmitted within the Palatine Anthology have bought little scholarly consciousness. This overlook is associated with questions relating their authenticity. lengthy learn as poems through the traditional lyricist Anacreon, they're now looked as a substitute as imitations of Anacreontic lyricism.
- The Supernatural in Short Fiction of the Americas: The Other World in the New World (Contributions in Economics and Economic History,)
- Ethnic Worlds in Select Indian Fiction
- “A Poet of the Eye” - The Role of Art in Paul Auster's Works
- 1980s, The: A Decade of Contemporary British Fiction (The Decades Series)
- Enlightenment Orientalism: Resisting the Rise of the Novel
Extra info for A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)